OPTIONS FOR TREATING A HERNIATED DISC
"What Is The Fastest Way To Heal A Herniated Disc?"
by Dr. Benjamin Geddes
Yeah, so really the fastest way to heal a disc would be your body just taking the time to heal itself. And it is possible that that could take weeks. We put you on steroids, anti-inflammatories. It helps to calm things down. And a six-week follow-up, you feel significantly better. And that is certainly possible. It is probably not all gone at that point, but enough so that you're not as symptomatic, which is the most important thing. But it can certainly take longer months or longer.
And again, if there's an element of arthritis associated with it, with bone burring, etc, then that's not going to get healed by your body is only going to get worse over time. Really, the fastest way to get rid of the symptoms is to have surgery where we go in and clean out the disc and the material that's pushing on the nerves. Certainly, we try the conservative approach first, but based on the symptoms and how long they've been going on, if we get to a point where we need relief, it's the most reliable and quick way to do that would be to do a surgery.
More Videos by
Dr. Benjamin Geddes
MOST COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT CERVICAL DISC HERNIATION
- How serious is a herniated disc?
- What does a herniated disc feel like?
- Can a herniated disc heal on its own?
- What should you not do when you have a herniated disc in the neck?
- What is the fastest way to heal a herniated disc in the neck?
- Is herniated disc in the neck a permanent disability?
- Can a herniated disc in the neck heal without surgery?
- What is the best treatment for treating a herniated disc in the neck?